Aug 03, 2023
Golfing in Vancouver: A Guide to the City’s Best Courses and Driving Ranges
Golfing in Vancouver is a popular pastime. The city offers a visually stunning backdrop for the perfect golf experience. You’ll find a wide variety of golf courses and driving ranges here catering to golfers of all skill levels. Whether you’re a seasoned pro, a weekend warrior, or a beginner picking up a club for the first time, Vancouver’s golf offerings will impress and challenge you.
In this guide, we will delve into the city’s top courses and ranges, sharing insights and tips to help you make the most of your golfing experience in Vancouver. Let’s tee off!
Types of Golf Courses
Vancouver’s golf courses exhibit a range of characteristics that cater to different skill levels and golfing preferences. There are both public and private courses, each offering distinct experiences. Public courses like Fraserview Golf Course and University Golf Club are open to all players and often provide economical rates, while private clubs such as Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club or Capilano Golf and Country Club offer exclusive amenities and often more challenging layouts for experienced players.
Many courses feature parkland-style layouts, characterized by tree-lined fairways and strategically placed bunkers. For instance, Vancouver Golf Club, known for its mature trees and intricate landscaping, is a classic parkland course. Other courses like Morgan Creek Golf Course present a more modern design with larger fairways and greens, and a focus on strategic bunker placement. The city’s courses also vary in difficulty, ranging from beginner-friendly options like Musqueam Golf Course to more challenging terrains like Northlands Golf Course.
Top Golf Courses in Vancouver
Capilano Golf and Country Club: This Stanley Thompson designed course is nestled in West Vancouver. It’s a prestigious private club renowned for its beautifully manicured fairways, strategic layout, and stunning city and mountain views. It’s the #1 course in British Columbia and one of the best in Canada.
- University Golf Club: Located in Pacific Spirit Regional Park, this public course presents a traditional layout amidst forested surroundings, perfect for golfers who appreciate nature’s beauty.
- Morgan Creek Golf Course: Situated in South Surrey, Morgan Creek offers rolling fairways, carefully placed bunkers, and a layout that tests golfers of all skill levels.
- Northlands Golf Course: Set at the base of Mount Seymour in North Vancouver, this public course provides a challenging layout, stunning mountain views, and possible wildlife encounters.
- Vancouver Golf Club: One of the oldest and most esteemed courses in the Lower Mainland, the Vancouver Golf Club offers a challenging yet fair layout surrounded by mature trees and beautiful landscaping.
- Mayfair Lakes Golf & Country Club: In the heart of Richmond, Mayfair Lakes boasts beautiful water features, well-guarded greens, and a layout that can be enjoyed by players of all abilities.
- Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club: Hosting multiple Canadian Opens, this private course is known for its classic design, towering trees, and panoramic views of the city and ocean.
- Fraserview Golf Course: A beloved public course in Vancouver, Fraserview offers golfers a peaceful setting with its tree-lined fairways and views of the Fraser River.
- Squamish Valley Golf Club: Just an hour’s drive from Vancouver, this course offers a tranquil golf experience with a mountain backdrop, wildlife sightings, and a challenging yet fair layout.
With a mix of private and public, traditional and modern designs, each of these golf courses promises a unique and memorable golfing experience in Vancouver.
Driving Ranges in Vancouver
Perfecting your golf swing often calls for more time at the driving range. Fortunately, Vancouver boasts several driving ranges for both seasoned golfers and those new to the game. Here are five driving ranges that stand out in the city:
- Burnaby Mountain Driving Range: With 60 stalls and automatic tee-up systems, this range is perfect for those wanting to practice regardless of the weather. It also offers coaching and clinics for golfers at every level.
- Richmond Golf and Country Club Driving Range: Located in Richmond, this range features covered, heated stalls and is open to the public.
- University Golf Club Driving Range: This West Point Grey driving range offers both grass and mat driving ranges, and it’s open year-round.
- Eaglequest Golf Coquitlam: This range offers 80 tee areas on two levels and features night lighting. They also provide golf lessons for those wanting to improve their game.
- One Under Golf Vancouver: Located in the heart of the city, One Under is an urban golf club featuring six golf simulation bays where you can practice your swing or play full rounds on replicas of world-class courses.
Whether you’re honing your skills, warming up before a round, or learning the basics, these driving ranges provide excellent facilities to enhance your golfing experience in Vancouver.
Golf Lessons and Coaching
Whether you’re new to golf or an experienced player looking to refine your skills, Vancouver offers an array of golf lessons and coaching options. From private one-on-one instruction to group clinics, there’s something for every learning style.
McCleery Golf Academy, Northview Golf Academy, and The Golf Performance Project are just a few places offering comprehensive coaching programs. They employ PGA of Canada professionals who provide instruction tailored to your skill level and goals. Many golf courses and driving ranges in Vancouver also offer on-site instruction for their patrons.
Golf Equipment and Pro Shops
When it comes to golf equipment, Vancouver has you covered. The city is home to numerous golf stores and pro shops that stock a wide range of golfing gear, from clubs and balls to apparel and accessories.
Some of the well-stocked golf stores include Golf Town, Sport Chek, and the pro shops at larger golf courses such as University Golf Club and Vancouver Golf Club. These shops cater to a variety of budgets and carry top brands.
Best Time to Golf in Vancouver
Vancouver’s moderate climate makes it possible to golf almost year-round, but the best time to hit the links is typically between late April and October. The summer months offer the most reliable weather and longest daylight hours. However, many courses are well-drained and can be played in the milder winter months as well. Always check with individual courses for seasonal hours and potential weather-related closures.
Vancouver’s thriving golf scene offers an array of picturesque courses, modern driving ranges, and professional coaching facilities. Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a beginner, the city has a golfing experience tailored for you. From the lush greenery of the Capilano Golf and Country Club to the urban convenience of the Burnaby Driving Range, golfing in Vancouver is a pleasure that caters to all skills and preferences. So, grab your clubs and immerse yourself in the beauty, challenge, and camaraderie that the Vancouver golf community offers.
If you’re a visitor to Vancouver or are planning to relocate here, you might benefit from one of our furnished accommodations. Our properties are ideal for short term (1 month+) and are located throughout the Lower Mainland, just a short drive to any of the major golf courses in the region.