Jul 27, 2023
The Best Brunch Spots in Vancouver
In Vancouver, the meal that occupies that sweet spot between breakfast and lunch has transformed into something of an institution. The city’s brunch scene, teeming with diversity, creativity, and flavour, has a magnetic pull for both locals and tourists alike. Whether it’s comfort food you’re after, or an avant-garde fusion of flavours, or perhaps a breathtaking waterfront view to go with your coffee, Vancouver’s brunch spots have something to offer for everyone.
The Concept of Brunch
Brunch, a portmanteau of breakfast and lunch, is more than just a meal. It’s a cherished weekend ritual, a time for socializing, and an opportunity to unwind. Unlike the quick grab-and-go nature of weekday breakfasts, brunch is an event — a leisurely and indulgent affair that combines the sweet and savoury elements of the two meals it bridges. But what truly sets brunch apart is its timing. It’s perfect for those who enjoy sleeping in on their days off yet don’t want to miss out on the joys of a well-prepared, delicious morning meal.
Criteria for Selection
Choosing the best brunch spots in a city like Vancouver, where the culinary scene is so rich and varied, is no easy feat. Our selection is based on a combination of factors that, together, make for an unforgettable brunch experience.
The quality of the food, naturally, is paramount. We’ve looked for places that use high-quality, fresh ingredients, and offer a range of options to cater to different dietary preferences. Equally important is the creativity and uniqueness of the menu — the best brunch spots often have their own signature dishes that you wouldn’t find anywhere else.
But a great brunch experience is about more than just the food. The ambiance of the place, the friendliness of the service, and even the presentation of the dishes all contribute to making a brunch outing enjoyable. Whether it’s a chic downtown restaurant with sleek interiors, a cozy eatery with a homey feel, or a vibrant spot with stunning views, each place on our list offers something unique.
The Top Brunch Spots in Downtown Vancouver
Downtown Vancouver is brimming with eateries that put their unique spins on brunch.
- Medina Cafe: Known for its Belgian-inspired menu and Liege-style waffles. A must-try here is their aromatic lavender latte.
- Jam Cafe: Famous for its hearty portions. Don’t miss their creative mashups of salty and sweet.
- Homer Street Cafe and Bar: Located in Yaletown, they offer unique dishes like “Maple Chicken Cobbler.”
- Forage: For the eco-conscious diner, they use locally sourced ingredients in their dishes like the “Eggs Benedict” with back bacon.
The Best Brunch Locations in Kitsilano
A relaxed neighbourhood with a vibrant food scene, Kitsilano houses some top-notch brunch spots.
- Sophie’s Cosmic Cafe: Known for their hearty and homestyle brunch dishes.
- Fable Kitchen: Offering farm-to-table fare, their ‘Chickpea Fritters’ are a must-try.
Exploring East Vancouver’s Brunch Delights
East Vancouver is known for its diverse community, reflected in its variety of brunch spots.
- Havana Vancouver: A Cuban restaurant offering unique dishes like ‘Huevos Rancheros.’
- Red Wagon Cafe: Famous for their all-day breakfast, especially the ‘Pulled Pork Pancakes.’
- Roundel Cafe: A community favourite known for its vegan and gluten-free options.
Brunching in the West End
The West End’s brunch scene is as varied as its inhabitants, offering everything from classic to unique fusion brunch dishes.
- Greenhorn Cafe: Known for their excellent coffee and European-style brunch options.
- Red Umbrella Cafe: Steps away from English Bay and the beach, Red Umbrella offers classic items in a charming atmosphere.
South Vancouver’s Brunch Gems
South Vancouver is often underappreciated when it comes to brunch, but it holds some hidden gems.
- Seasons in the Park: Located in Queen Elizabeth Park, they offer brunch with a panoramic view.
- Sunshine Diner: A retro-themed diner known for its home-style comfort food.
North Vancouver’s Top Brunch Spots
A trip to North Vancouver for brunch is worth it, thanks to the area’s scenic charm and varied brunch offerings.
- Lift Breakfast Bakery: located in bustling Lower Lonsdale, this small restaurant fills is not to be missed. It fills up quickly on weekends so get there early.
- Tomahawk Restaurant: A historic, family-owned diner offering indigenous-inspired dishes.
- The Bakehouse in Dundarave: Famous for its bakery items, they also offer a delightful brunch.
Each of these spots offers a unique dining experience to its patrons. Whether you’re in the mood for a classic eggs benedict, seeking a vegan option, or looking to indulge in some fresh seafood, these brunch spots in Vancouver have you covered.
Vancouver’s brunch scene is a reflection of the city itself: diverse, vibrant, and full of surprises. From the heart of downtown to the laid-back charm of Kitsilano, there are endless options that cater to every palate. Whether you’re searching for classic brunch dishes, innovative fusion creations, or prefer to dine with a view, the city’s brunch spots will not disappoint.
As you explore Vancouver from your furnished apartment, make sure to take time to enjoy a leisurely brunch in these unique neighbourhoods. So, grab your favourite people, take a seat, and get ready to dig into the best brunch Vancouver has to offer. Happy brunching!